Chinese Language DVDs
DVD 2484 (2004) "2046" continues the story of Chow Mo Wan from Wong Kar-Wai's "In the mood for love", a few years after his ephemeral affair with Su Li-zhen. Chow is now an out-of-work journalist and pulp-fiction writer living in a cheap hotel. He pursues a playboy lifestyle of zero commitment and one-night stands, and develops a passion for a beautiful callgirl, enjoys a breezy summer with the hotel manager's daughter, and happens across the path of a professional gambler whom he had met in Singapore some years before. In the meantime, Chow works on a science-fiction novel about a mysterious train that transports people to the year 2046 to reclaim lost memories.
- Ai zai bie xiang di ji jie [videorecording] = Farewell China
DVD 1301 (1993) Spring, 1988. Despite several rejections from the American consulate, and a year after her first child was born, Li was finally granted a student visa to travel to the United States. A year later, Li sends back a letter to Zhou, asking for an immediate divorce. Zhou gets smuggled into New York City, desperate to find Li but to no avail. With the help of Jane, a brash Chinese-American teenager he befriended, Zhou begins seeking out the people who once knew Li. The journey brings them into a subterranean world where they follow Li's trail through the disillusioning and harsh world of new immigrants.
- Amongst white clouds
DVD 3639 (2007) Narration in English; English subtitles provided for Chinese dialogues American director Edward A. Burger documents his journey into the lives of China's forgotten Zen Buddhist hermit tradition. The Zhongnan Mountains have been home to recluses for some five thousand years; Burger's experiences demonstrate that the tradition continues to thrive. One of only a few foreigners to have lived and studied with these hidden sages, Burger reveals to us their tradition, their wisdom, and the hardship and joy of their everyday lives.
- Bai mao nü [videorecording] / Changchun dian ying zhi pian chang she zhi
DVD 7748 (2009) In this story taking place in a remote village of South China during the 1930s, Yang Bailao, a poor peasant, has a daughter, Xi'er, who falls in love with a young peasant. But Huang Shiren, a local landlord, attracted by the beauty of Xi'er, tries to force Yang Bailao to give him his daughter in order to settle a debt. The father refuses and is forced to commit suicide, after which his daughter is raped by the landlord. She escapes into a deep forest, where her hair quickly turns grey. Only after liberation can she revenge her father and have a new life.
- Bian lian [videorecording] = The King of Masks
DVD 2498 (1996) Desperate for his art to survive, the King of Masks finds an apprentice in a destitute child purchased on the black market. When the child reveals an unexpected secret, their relationship is suddenly tested by both the old man's stubborn sense of tradition and the established customs of China.
- Blue gate crossing [videorecording] = Lanse da men
DVD 1505 (2003) Like a long romantic slow dance in high school, the film follows three high school kids discovering their sexuality. This 'is-she-or-isn't-she' gay comedy focuses on a Taiwanese teen, the boy she might like, and the girl she may love.
- Bo li zhi cheng [videorecording] = City of glass
DVD 1384 (1997) Raphael, a head-strong student leader at Hong Kong University, falls for the beautiful Vivian. Fate forces them to become separated and married to other people. Twenty years later they meet again and try to relive the past, but with fatal results. Now it's up to Raphael's son and Vivian's daughter to help them fulfil the last dream they had shared, but sadly failed to accomplish.
- Chengjisihan [videorecording] = Genghis Khan
DVD 2525 (1999) After all kinds of hardships and difficulties, Genghis Khan ends the long standing division of the Mongolian nation and builds the Mongolian Kingdom, laying a solid foundation for the Yuan Dynasty.
- China [videorecording] : a century of revolution
- China blue
DVD 4103 (2005, 88 min.) This documentary visits a Chinese blue-jean factory, where workers are trying to survive a harsh working environment. But when the factory owner agrees to a deal with his Western client that forces his teenage…
- Dong [videorecording] = The hole
DVD 1539 (2000) Seven days into the 21st century the rain will not let up in Taiwan and a strange disease reaches epic proportions. Tenants of a run-down apartment refuse to leave. The plumber comes to fix a leak and instead leaves a gaping hole through which the tenant spies on his neighbor.
- Emperor and the assassin [videorecording] = Jing ke ci qin wang
VHS 6857 Ying Zheng, the King of Qin, has one driving ambition: to unify China's seven kingdoms into one magnificent empire.
- Er shi si cheng ji [videorecording] = 24 city
- Fleeing by night [videorecording] = Ye ben
- Flowers of Shanghai Hai shang hua
- Goddess of mercy
- Gu Cheng bie lian = The poet
- Hao si bu ru lai huo zhuo = To live is better than to die
DVD 2991 (2003, 60 min.) At least 250,000 people in central China were infected with HIV as a result of a blood donor program in the early 1990s. Peasants sold their blood to clinics that used unsanitary methods
- Hero [videorecording] = Ying Xiong
- Hong ri feng bao = Storm under the sun
- Huang tu = Yellow earth
- Huo zhe[videorecording] = To live
- In love we trust Qinghong Debo
- Ju dou [videorecording] : an erotic tale of forbidden passion
- Jue lie Breaking with old ideas
- Lan Yu [videorecording] / Ao mei guo ji guan li you xian gong si ; Yongning gong zuo shi
- Lan feng zheng The blue kite
- Life on a string
- Millennium mambo
- Mo li hua kai Jasmine women
- Nan ren si shi / = July Rhapsody
- Nanjing Nanking
In English, Chinese, and Japanese with English subtitles
- Puppetmaster=Xi meng ren sheng
- Quitting [videorecording] = Zuotian
- Raise the red lantern = Da hong deng long gao gao gua
- Red sorghum [videorecording] = Hong gao liang
- Saga of Hau Mulan
- Shadow magic [videorecording] = Xi yang jing
- Shang fang [videorecording] = Petition
DVD 8112 (2009) A harrowing investigation into China's legal system, this documentary takes us inside the world of "petitioners", people who come to Beijing from all over the country to seek justice against corrupt local officials and courts, only to find themselves waiting months or years (in some cases more than 10 years) for a hearing.
- Shaolin soccer
- Shi qi sui de dan che Beijing bicycle
- Shijie [videorecording] = The world
DVD6456, 2006, 139 min. On the outskirts of Beijing is an amusement park called The World. The staff, most who have come to work from rural areas, may be happy around the guests, but it’s a different story behind the scenes. The park is seen through the eyes of the staff, along with the romances, dreams, and loneliness.
- Snow flower and the secret fan
DVD 8924 (2011, 104 min) Centuries ago, two 'sworn sisters' are isolated by their families, but stay connected through a secret language written in the folds of a white silk fan. Now in modern-day Shanghai, their descendents must draw inspiration from the past as they struggle to maintain their own eternal bond in the face of life's complications. What unfolds are two stories, generations apart, but everlasting in their universal notion of love, hope and friendship.
- So close to paradise [videorecording] = Biandan, guniang
- Still life
DVD 3483, 2008, 108 min. "After a town is completely destroyed by a flood, the residents must try to rebuild their homes, the town, and their lives."
- Take a look Chinatown, New York City post 9-11
- Temptation of a monk You seng
- Tian yu Xiu Xiu, the sent down girl
- Wo hu cang long [videorecording] = Crouching tiger, hidden dragon
DVD 184 (2001) Set in 19th-century China, two master warriors are faced with their greatest challenge when the treasured Green Destiny sword is stolen. A young aristocratic woman prepares for an arranged marriage, but soon reveals her superior fighting talents and her romantic past. As each warrior battles for justice, they come face-to-face with their worst enemy, and the enduring power of love.
- Xian shi shi guo qu de wei lai [videorecording] = Disorder /
DVD 8822 (2009, 58 min.) The film combines more than twenty street scenes into a collage, revealing absurd facets of life in a fast-paced urban city. Notes:This disc is a recorded DVD and may not play on all DVD players or drives. Licensed with public performance rights for non-commercial and educational exhibition when no admission fee is charged.
- Xiáang rái kâui = Sunflower
- Xing fu shi guang [videorecording] = Happy times
- Xue zhan dao di [videorecording] = Karmic mahjong
- Yao a yao, yao dao wai po qiao Shanghai triad
- Ye Wen Ip Man
- Yi Yi A one and a two
- Yin shi nan nü [videorecording] = Eat drink man woman
- Young & restless in China
DVD 8588 In English and some Mandarin with English SDH for the hearing impaired. Details the lives of nine ambitious young Chinese ranging from their late 20 to early 30's. Living in a society that is experiencing rapid change, the film looks at how these young professionals and workers are adjusting and looking for opportunities in the newly prosperous culture.
- Zhou Yu's train [videorecording] = Zhou Yu de huo che
- Zui hao de shi guang [videorecording] = Three times