- (Bresson, 1966) Balthazar = Au hasard Balthazar
(on order fall 2012) "Follows the donkey Balthazar as he is passed from owner to owner, some kind and some cruel but all with motivations beyond his understanding. Balthazar, whose life parallels that of his first keeper, Marie, is truly a beast of burden, suffering the sins of man. But despite his powerlessness, he accepts his fate nobly."
- (Bresson, 1977) The devil, probably = Le diable probablement
(on order Fall 2012) "Charles is a womanizing ringleader of the group, haunted by an overwhelming sense of nihilism that finally envelops him. He drifts through politics, religion and psychoanalysis, rejecting them all. Once he realizes the depth of his disgust with the moral and physical decline of the society he lives in, he decides that suicide is the only option."
- (Langlois) Henri Langlois : phantom of the Cinémathèque (Le fantôme d'Henri Langlois: le merveilleux permanent)
DVD8249, 2006, 128 min. For forty years, Langlois presided over the Cinémathèque Française with absolute commitment and unwavering passion. By collecting motion pictures, he preserved the priceless treasures of an art form. It wasn't always easy as Langlois went underground during the Nazi occupation of Paris and as he battled with bureaucrats. Includes rare footage and interviews.
- 2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle [videorecording] = 2 or 3 things I know about her
DVD 2763 Jean-Luc Godard Juliette, a bourgeois housewife, is a loving wife and mother whose domestic moments alternate with her days and nights as a call girl.
- 36 vues du Pic Saint Loup [videorecording] = Around a small mountain
DVD 8933 (2011,84 min.) On a winding mountain road, Vittorio stops to help Kate, whose car has broken down. After gallantly making the repair, without a single word spoken, he speeds off. When their paths cross again, Vittorio learns that Kate has returned to join her family's traveling circus after leaving under mysterious conditions many years ago. Intrigued by her story, Vittorio stays for the show, and the next one, and little by little is integrated into the circus and the lives of its performers.
- A nous la liberté [videorecording] = Liberty for us
DVD 2528 René Clair A satire on factory life centering on the activities of a couple of ex-prisoners, one of whom, an ambitious crook, becomes the boss of a large factory while the other, a sentimental old tramp, becomes a worker there. Eventually both discover that happiness and peace of mind cannot be bought with money and revert to their former life as vagabonds. This film inspired Charlie Chaplin's Modern times.
- Afrique, je te plumerai [videorecording] = Africa
DVD 3091 ; 88 min. Jean-Marie Teno A compelling and sardonic essay on the history of colonialism in Cameroon, and by extension, on the African continent. Focuses on historical as well as contemporary European cultural domination, particularly in the publishing and media industry. # Notes:Licensed with public performance rights for non-commercial and educational exhibition when no admission fee is charged.
- Aimé Césaire: [videorecording] : une voix pour l’histoire = Aimé Césaire, a voice for history
DVD 5841 Disc 1. L’Île veilleuse = The vigilant island Disc 2. Au rendez-vous de la conquête = Where the edges of conquest meet Disc 3. La force de regarder demain = The strength to face tomorrow.
- Air de famille [videorecording] = Family resemblances
DVD 664 Cedric Klapisch A dysfunctional family eats together one night a week. On this particular Friday, the family is celebrating a birthday, but the night turns into anything but a celebration when family politics, family history, tensions, collective and separate grudges, delights, memories and fights come into play. A verbal joust, the film uncovers some universal truths about famliy life.
- Aiti, min chimin libèté́ [videorecording] = Haiti, the way of freedom
DVD 8333 The first Haitian feature length film, this shows the struggle of the Haitian people for freedom, from Columbus to Duvalier, with a call for radical unity to rebuild the country. Notes:Originally produced in 1974.
VHS 7614 CORE J'ai faim, j'ai froid (I'm hungry, I'm cold): Two young Belgian girls run away from their home in Brussels. They spend a day and an evening in Paris looking for food and love, with comic and poignant results. Saute ma ville: A young woman comes home to her apartment in Brussels, where she cooks pasta and seals herself in with duct tape. The story ends with a bang. Akerman's first film made at the age of 18. Hotel Monterey: A stark, silent look at a N.Y. pension hotel.
- Always for pleasure
DVD 7462 In English: Part 1 captures the music, food, and street celebrations that typify New Orleans. Part 2 focuses on the annual revival of Black Indian social and cultural traditions, featuring the Wild Tchoupitoulas and other Black Indian tribes as they prepare for and celebrate Mardi Gras.
- Amore e rabbia [videorecording] = Love and anger
DVD 3237 Films by Carlo Lizzani, Bernardo Bertolucci, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Jean-Luc Godard, Marco Bellocchio, 1969 Collection of 5 short linked stories of love, anger, and indifference at the end of the 20th century.
- Amour, l’après-midi [videorecording] = Chloe in the afternoon
DVD 689 Written and directed by Eric Rohmer The last of Rohmer's Six Moral Tales. Frederic leads a bourgeois life; he is a partner in a small Paris office and is happily married to Helene, a teacher expecting her second child. In the afternoons, Frederic daydreams about other women, but has no intention of taking any action. One day, Chloe, a bohemian drifter who had been a mistress of an old friend, begins dropping by his office. They meet as friends, irregularly in the afternoons, till eventually Chloe decides to seduce Frederic, causing him a moral dilemma.
- Année dernière à Marienbad [videorecording] = Last year at Marienbad
DVD 82 CORE Alain Robbe-Grillet A handsome stranger tries to convince a lovely young woman that they had a passionate affair a year ago, 'perhaps at Marienbad, ' but she claims not to remember him. He haunts her mind with images by mixing memory and fantasy, fear and desire.
DVD 3869 (1997, 96 min) Artemisia Gentileschi is forbidden to fully pursue her own passion of painting. She convinces a renowned artist to tutor her. He not only liberates her into the world of art but initiates her into the world of sex and love.
- Ascenseur pour l'échafaud [videorecording] = Elevator to the gallows
DVD 6571 Florence Carala and her lover Julien Tavernier, an ex-paratrooper, want to murder her husband by faking a suicide.
- Astérix le Gaulois [videorecording]
VHS 827 It's 50 BC and a small village in Gallic France is under seige by the Romans. Panoramix the druid cooks up a magic potion which helps the little warrior Astérix and his friends to hold their own, but the Romans then kidnap Panoramix to discover the secret of his tribe's strength.
- Auberge espagnole [videorecording] Spanish apartment
DVD 921 Cédric Klapisch. (2002, 122 min.) As part of a job that he is promised, Xavier, a straight-laced French economics student in his twenties, signs on to a European exchange program in order to gain working knowledge of the Spanish language. Promising that they'll remain close, he says farewell to his loving, dismayed girlfriend, and heads to Barcelona. Following his arrival, Xavier is soon thrust into multi-cultural chaos when he moves into an apartment full of international students. An Italian, an English girl, a boy from Denmark, a young woman from Belgium, a German and a girl from Tarragona all join him in a series of adventures that serve as an initiation to life and an eye-opening lesson on how to live, love, laugh and party.
- Augustin [videorecording] = Omnibus
VHS 6729 Anne Fontaine, 1995 Omibus: The story of a man whose daily commute suddenly becomes a one-way trip to insanity. Augustin: An insurance clerk dreams of becoming a dramatic actor, unaware that he is already a one-man comedy show.
- Avenue Montaigne = Fauteuils d'orchestre
DVD 6483 (2007, 101 min) Jessica is a beautiful young woman from the provinces who has come to Paris and lands a job waiting tables at a chic bistro on fabled Avenue Montaigne. Jessica's customers include a popular TV actress who is courting a major Hollywood director for her first serious film role; a wealthy art collector who is about to liquidate a lifetime's worth of treasures at auction; and an illustrious classical pianist who is at odds with his manager/wife as to where his career is headed. Precisely because Jessica doesn't know how celebrated these people are, her guileless and completely unintimidated engagement in their lives has a transforming effect on them and ultimately her.
- Azur & Asmar [videorecording] : the princes’ quest
DVD 2816 Two infants from very different backgrounds become friends through circumstance, only to become rivals as adults. When the pair work together on a quest to find their princesses, will their true friendship once again shine through?
- Ballon rouge [videorecording] = The red balloon
- Bamako [videorecording]
DVD 4843 Director Abderrahmane Sissako
- Bande à part [videorecording] = Band of outsiders
DVD 673 Jean-Luc Godard.
- Bataille d’Alger [videorecording] = The battle of Algiers
- Battement d’ailes du papillon [videorecording] = Happenstance
DVD 6078 Laurent Firode
- Beaches of Agnes
DVD 6620 (2010, 110 min.) A rich cinematic self portrait that touches on art, the feminist movement, the Black Panthers, and the birth of the French New Wave.
- Beau travail [videorecording] = Good work
DVD 1029 CORE
- Beaumarchais [videorecording] : línsolent = Beaumarchais, the scoundrel
VHS 7672 (1997, 100 min) Written/directed by Edouard Molinaro The true story of Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais, an artist whose work influenced the likes of Mozart and Rossini. He was one of history's extraordinary figures : inventor, playwright, diplomat, playboy, royal spy for King Louis XV, and emissary of the colonial attacks against Britain during the American Revolution. The son of a clockmaker, he wrote "The Barber of Seville", worked as a secret agent for the French king, ran guns to the American revolutionaries, and along the way found himself on a collision course with the Chevalier d'Eon, France's notorious cross-dressing superspy. Love affairs, scandals, and espionage fill this period piece which explores the years 1774-1784 - an explosive period in Beaumarchais'
- Belle de jour [videorecording] = Beauty of the day
DVD 1402 (Originally released as a motion picture in 1967, 102 min) Subtle, erotic film about a wealthy young surgeon's wife who indulges her masochistic fantasies by working as a part-time prostitute in a Paris brothel.
- Belle et la bête [videorecording] = Beauty and the beast
DVD 454 (1946 93 min.) "Once upon a time, in a world of magic and wonder, the true love of a beautiful girl finally dispells the torment of a gentle-hearted beast." A half-ruined merchant lives in the country with his son Ludovic and his three daughters. Two of the daughters, Felicie and Adelaide, are real shrews - selfish, pretentious, evil. They exploit the third daughter, Belle, as a servant. One day, the merchant gets lost in the forest and enters a strange castle. He picks up a rose for Beauty, which makes the castle's owner appear. He is a monster, half-human (body) and half-beast (paws, head), and he has magic powers. He sentences the merchant to death, unless he replaces himself with one of his daughters. Beauty sacrifices herself for her father and goes to the castle. She will discover that the Beast is not so wild and inhuman when her love releases the prince in him.
- Belle noiseuse [videorecording] = The beautiful troublemaker
DVD 6052 Jacques Rivette
- Bête humaine [videorecording] = Human beast
DVD 5526 Jean Renoir (1938, 96 min.) Story by Zola Train engineer Jacques lusts after the wife of his co-worker Robaud. Robaud kills his boss and Jacques witnesses the murder. In order to keep Jacques quiet, Robaud allows Jacques to have an affair with his wife, creating a tragic love triangle.
- Black robe [videorecording]
DVD 724 Core In the 17th century, Father Laforgue, a young Jesuit priest, is assigned to go up river into the Canadian wilderness to convert the Huron Indians. His young aide and translator, Daniel, falls in love with Annuka, the daughter of the Algonquin chief. Torn between his own desires and ideals of the priesthood, Laforgue's faith is tested, and his life and the outcome of the mission imperiled, as the expedition faces the elements and hostile Indians.
- Bob le flambeur [videorecording] = Bob the gambler
DVD 684 Jean-Pierre Melville
- Bon voyage [videorecording]
- Bonnes femmes [videorecording] = The good time girls
DVD 6082 Claude Chabrol, 1960
- Boucher [videorecording] = Butcher
DVD 671 Writer & director, Claude Chabrol
- Boudu sauvé des eaux [videorecording] = Boudu saved from drowning
DVD 2266 Jean Renoir Booklet includes essay by Christopher Faulkner. Special
- Bourgeois gentilhomme [videorecording] : comédie en cinq actes de Molière = Would-be gentleman : a comedy in 5 acts by Moliere
DVD 1290 (2001, 145 min) Monsieur Jourdain, a wealthy tradesman, is sparing no expense to try to buy what he can never be: a born gentleman. As delightful as he is fatuous and as genuine as he is naïve, M. Jourdain's attempts to transform himself through custom-tailored clothing and all manner of lessons are absurd to everyone - except himself. But when his pretensions lead him to refuse his daughter's hand to Cléante on the grounds that the young man is not a gentleman, he goes too far. Thanks to a clever scheme, she and her beloved find the happiness they seek.
- Bridesmaid [videorecording] = La demoiselle d’honneur
DVD 3288 (2004, 106 min) Claude Chabrol It's love at first sight when bridesmaid Senta falls into the life of a handsome young Phillipe at the wedding of his younger sister. As passion for one another intensifies, Phillipe slowly discovers that Senta is shrouded in mystery. When one day she asks Phillipe to perform a terrible deed as proof of his love for her, Phillipe must come to terms with who his lover might really be.
- Caché [videorecording] = Hidden
DVD 2487 CORE Michael Haneke
- Café au lait [videorecording]
DVD1993 Writer/director Mathieu Kassovitz
- Camille Claudel [videorecording]
DVD 91 Bruno Nuytten
- Captive [videorecording] = the captive
DVD 6084 Chantal Akerman, 2000
- Ce jour-la [videorecording] = That day
- Cercle rouge [videorecordings] = Red circle
- Cet amour-lá [videorecording]
DVD 2101 Josée Dayan (2001 95 min.) Marguerite Duras is one of the most widely read French novelists today. She had a celebrated love affair with Yann, her much younger muse and apprentice. The film also offers an insight into the heart and mind of one of the world's literary figures.
- Chacun cherche son chat
DVD 7451 CORE
- Chagrin et le petie chronique dúne ville française sous lóccupation = The sorrow and the pity : stories of an occupied city
- Chantal Akerman in the seventies [videorecording] : The New York films ; Je tu il elle ; Les rendez-vous d'Anna
DVD 6643 [Disc 1] La chambre ( 1972; 11 min. : si., col.)The camera goes around the room three times, starting at a table, and slowly making its way 360 degrees around the room. Hotel Monterey (1972; 62 min. : si., col.)Short film consisting entirely of shots of people walking in and out of a rundown New York hotel. News from home (1976; 86 min. : sd., col.) Presents a series of abstract and fragmentary images of everyday urban life in 1970s New York City, accompanied by the distinctive narration of filmmaker Chantal Akerman as she dispassionately reads through her mother's alternately affectionate, melancholic, and sincere, but maternally manipulative letters from her native Belgium. Disc 2] Je tu il elle (1975; 82 min. : sd., b&w).Akerman's first feature-length film. A jittery young woman gradually gains experience and maturity in her travels around France. Sex, love, food and personal identity become intertwined as she sets out to define herself, her loves, and her desires. [Disc 3] Les rendez-vous d'Anna (1978; 122 min. : sd., col.)An independent woman film-maker journeys through Germany, Belgium, and France, meeting a stream of friends, lovers, relatives, and strangers, and passing through alienating landscapes of anonymous hotel rooms, train stations, and cinemas.
- Chapeau de paille d’Italie [videorecording] = The Italian straw hat
DVD 7671 René Clair
- Charme discret de la bourgeoisie [videorecording] = Discreet charm of the bourgeoisie
DVD 1644 Luis Buñuel, 1972
- Chats perchaes [videorecording] = The case of the grinning cat
DVD 5066 Chris Marker
- Chêvre [videorecording] = The goat
- Cinexpérimentaux [Images animées]. 6, Marcel Hanoun / Frédérique Devaux, Michel Amarger, concept., réal. ; Marcel Hanoun
DVD 8702 Cinexpérimentaux. Marcel Hanoun / Frédérique Devaux, Michel Amarger, concept., réal. ; Marcel Hanoun, participant (2003, 68 min) -- Des hommes qui ont perdu racine / Marcel Hanoun, réal. (1956, 17 min) -- Je meurs de vivre / Marcel Hanoun , réal. (1992-1994, 53 min)
- Coco avant Chanel [videorecording]
DVD 6556 (2010, 110 min.) Years after being abandoned at an orphanage by her father, Gabrielle Chanel finds a job in a tailor shop where she meets, and soon begins an affair with French millionaire Etienne Balsan. Through Baron Balsan she is introduced into French society and given the opportunity to design her own style of hats. Though her career takes off, her personal life becomes more complicated when she falls in love with Balsan's former best friend Arthur Capel.
- Code inconnu [videorecording] : récit incomplet de divers voyages = Code unknown
DVD 6085 Haneke
- Collection of 2007 Academy Award: Nominated Short Films
DVD 3476 English, Danish, French or Italian dialogues. This collection of the best of short films of 2007 includes the following: LIVE ACTION 1. AT NIGHT Christian E. Christiansen and Louise Vesth [40 min.] 2. IL SUPPLENTE (The Substitute) Andrea Jublin [16 min.] 3. LE MOZART DES PICKPOCKETS (The Mozart of Pickpockets) (OSCAR WINNER) - (Premium Films) Philippe Pollet-Villard [30 min.] 4. TANGHI ARGENTINI Guido Thys and Anja Daelemans [14 min.] 5. THE TONTO WOMAN Daniel Barber and Matthew Brown [36 min.] ANIMATED 1. MADAME TUTLI-PUTLI- A National Film Board of Canada Production Chris Lavis and Maciek Szczerbowski [17 min.] 2. MEME LES PIGEONS VONT AU PARADIS (Even Pigeons go to Heaven) Samuel Tourneux and Simon Vanesse [9 min.] 3. PETER AND THE WOLF (OSCAR WINNER) Suzie Templeton and Hugh Welchman [33 min.]
- Comment j’ai tué mon père [videorecording] = My father and I
DVD 5319 Anne Fontaine
- Complete Jean Vigo
DVD 3137 Even among cinema's greatest legends, Jean Vigo stands alone. The son of a notorious anarchist, Vigo had a brief but brilliant career making poetic, lightly surrealist films before his life was cut tragically short by tuberculosis at age twenty-nine. Like the daring early works of his contemporaries Jean Cocteau and Luis Bunũel, Vigo's films refused to play by the rules. This set includes all of Vigo's titles. Table of Contents:À propos de Nice (1930, 23 min.) / directors, Jean Vigo, Boris Kaufman; screenplay, Jean Vigo -- Taris (1931, 9 min.) / Le Journal Vivant, GFFA; director, Jean Vigo -- Zèro de conduite (1933, 44 min.) / director, Jean Vigo; screenplay, Jean Vigo -- L'Atalante (1934, 87 min.) / director, Jean Vigo; screenplay, Jean Vigo, Albert Riéra.
- Condamné à mort s'est échappé, ou, Le vent souffle où il vent A man escaped
- Contes des quartre saisons. [videorecording] : Conte d'hiver = Tale of winter
VHS 7120 (1991, 114 min.) A delightful romantic comedy about the triumph of love over the longest odds, A Tale of Winter begins with Félicié and Charles sharing a whirlwind love affair at the beach one summer. As they part, Félicié gives him her address, but due to a crucial, inexplicably stupid mistake, she makes it impossible for him to find her. Five years later, Félicié is still in love with Charles, though she has seemingly lost him forever. Along with her five-year-old daughter (by Charles), she maintains her hope that someday she will again find her Prince Charming
- Cyrano de Bergerac [videorecording]
DVD 2192 Director Jean-Claude Petit.
- Ça commence aujourd’hui [videorecording] = It all starts today
DVD 3221 Bertrand Tavernier
- Dangerous liaisons [videorecording]
DVD 329 CORE
- De battre mon coeur s'est arrete = Beat that my heart skipped
- Decline of the American empire [videorecording] = Déclin de l’empire américain
DVD 5995 (1986, 102 min) Four university teachers gather to prepare a dinner. Remy is a married man, Claude a homosexual, Pierre has a girlfriend and Alain is a bachelor. Amongst them, they discuss sex, the female body and their affairs with them. Their dinner guests Louis, Dominique, Diane and Danielle are waiting at a health gym. They also discuss sex, the female body and, naturally, men. Later in the evening they meet and have dinner where candid conversations are brought out at the dinner table, where more revelations, confrontation - and sex - begin.
- Delwende [videorecording]
- Demain on déménage [videorecording] = Tomorrow we move
DVD 6043 Chantal Ackerman
- Dernier jour d’un condamné [videorecording] = The last day of a condemned man
DVD 2557 Story by Victor Hugo, film by Jean-Christophe Averty, 1991
- Dernier métro= The Last Metro
- Dreamlife of angels = Vie rêvée des anges
DVD 653 (1998, 113 min) In Lille, two penniless young women with few prospects become friends. Isa moves in with Marie, who's flat-sitting for a mother and child in hospital in comas following a car crash. Isa is out-going, unskilled, with hopes of moving south to warmer climes. Marie usually is either angry or detached. Then, while Isa begins to visit the child in whose flat they live, going to hospital to read to her, Marie slowly falls for a rich youth. At first Marie keeps him at bay, then she not only pursues him, she begins to dream he is her life's love. When Isa tries to warn Marie, their friendship suffers, resulting in tragic consequences.
- Elle s’appelle Sabine [videorecording] = Her name is Sabine
DVD 6048 Sandrine Bonnaire
- Emploi du temps [videorecording] = Time out
DVD 5051 Laurent Cantet, 2001
- Enfant [videorecording] = (the child)
DVD 3097 Jean-Pierre et Luc Dardenne, 2005
- Enfants du paradis [videorecording] = Children of paradise
- Ensemble, c'est tout [videorecording] = Hunting and gathering
- Entre les murs [videorecording] = The class
- Et Dieu-- créa la femme = And God Created Woman
DVD 3402 (1956, 98 min) Juliette is an 18 year-old orphan whose unbridled appetite for pleasure shakes up all of St. Tropez. Her sweet but naïve husband Michel endures beatings, insults and mambo in his attempts to tame her wild ways.
- Etre et avoir [videorecording] = To be and to have
- Faat Kine [videorecording]
- Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain [videorecording] : Amélie from Montmartre
- Farinelli, il Castrato [videorecording]
DVD 2993 The true story of a world famous castrato in the 18th century. With charisma, talent, drive and success, Farinelli had everything: money, talent, fame, women, and the voice of an angel. He becomes obsessed with earning the respect of his brother's rival, the composer Handel.
- Faute à Fidel [videorecording] = Blame it on Fidel
- Femme est une femme [videorecording] = A Woman is a woman
DVD 1609 Offbeat homage to Hollywood musicals finds a stripper rousing her lover's jealousy by seducing his best friend.
- Fille sur le pont [videorecording] = Girl on the bridge
VHS 7666 Patrice Leconte
- French twist [videorecording] = Gazon Maudit
- Gabrielle [videorecording]
DVD 2914 (2005, 90 min) Patrice Chéreau Jean is a successful publisher. He has refined tastes and abundant material possessions, among which he seems to include his wife, Gabrielle. But in a single afternoon, Gabrielle decides to leave him for another man and then abruptly reverses her decision. Now, everything that Jean believed to be true about his life and marriage falls apart.
- Gaza-strophe [videorecording] : Le jour d'aprés / ISKRA & l'Yeux ouverts.
They came to Gaza in the aftermath of the war, and with their friends the Palestinian Human Rights delegates, they discovered the extent of the ((Gaza-strophy)). The accounts of dozens of witnessess of Israel's war against Gaza who take us to depth of the Palestines' nightmare.
- Genou de Claire [videorecording] = Claire’s knee
DVD 8608 (1993) It's mid 19th century, northern France. The story of the residents of a coal mining town, who are exploited by the mine's owner. One day they decide to go on strike, and then the authorities repress them. Notes:Based on the novel by Emile Zola.
- Généalogies d’un crime [videorecording] = Genealogies of a crime
- Glaneurs et la glaneuse = Gleaners and I
- Goût des autres [videorecording] = The taste of others
DVD 626 (2000, 112 min) The lives and loves of several completely opposite men and women artfully intersect in what becomes a delightfully funny web of romantic entanglements! While negotiating differences in wealth and status, style, and taste, this vivid collection of characters mix and match in outrageously volatile combinations! Castella owns a trucking company in Rouen; Bruno is his flute-playing driver, Franck is his temporary bodyguard while he negotiates a contract with Iranians, his wife Bǎtrice does frou-frou interior decorating and loves her dog. The conventional Castella hires a forty-year-old actress, Clara, to tutor him in English, and he finds her and her Bohemian lifestyle fascinating. Is this love? What would she say if he declared himself? Through Bruno, Franck meets Manie, a barmaid who deals hash. They begin an affair. Are they in love? They joke about marriage. As the women hold back, the men must make decisions.
- Grand voyage
DVD 2785, 2005
- Grande illusion [videorecording] = [Grand illusion]
DVD1006 CORE, 1999, 114 min. "In this classic tale of adventure, duty and honor conflict in a German prisoner-of-war camp when an aristocratic French officer becomes friends with the German commandant, a fellow aristocrat, while simultaneously cooperating with his French comrades, who are commoners, in a daring escape."
- Haine [videorecording] = Hate
DVD 4005 CORE Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995
- Haiti rising [videorecording] : celebrating the first black republic
DVD 8587 Contains two films: Black Dawn and Haitian Pilgrimage. Black Dawn is an animated tale of Haiti's history and foundation. Haitian Pilgrimage is a documentary about a Haitian-American family who visits Haiti. They explore Haitians' pride in their African roots. Table of Contents:Black Dawn (1978, col., ca. 18 min.) / animated by Robin Lloyd and Doreen Kraft ; painted by Haitian artists -- Haitian Pilgrimage (1992, col., ca. 30 min.) / Robin Lloyd.
- Heure d'été [videorecording]= Summer hours
DVD 8757 (2010, 103 min) The divergent paths of three adult siblings collide when their mother, heiress to an exceptional 19th century art collection, dies suddenly.
- Hiroshima mon amour [videorecording] = Hiroshima, my love
DVD 1768 (1959, 90 min) A Japanese architect and a French actress engage in a brief intense affair in Hiroshima in 1959. Both deal with their personal memories of World War II--he by articulating his firsthand experience with nuclear disaster, she by remembering her traumatic affair with a German soldier.
- Histoire de Marie et Julien [videorecording] = [The story of Marie and Julien]
DVD 8949 (2005, 150 min)A pair of ex-lovers get back together. Julien is a clock repairman whose girlfriend has left him. Marie is a mysterious woman whose boyfriend has died. Now that they have no emotional entanglements, they slowly begin a new relationship.
- Hussard sur le toit [videorecording] = The horseman on the roof
DVD 2287 (1996, 119 min.) Jean-Paul Rappeneau Set in 1834, France is being ravaged by a vicious cholera epidemic. Whole towns are quarantined and suspicious locals regulary lynch travellers. In this world ravaged by revolution and violence, two strangers--a handsome renegade and a beautiful countess--find their only chance for survival in each other! Together they undertake a perilous cross-country journey where they will also discover unmatched danger, excitement ... and passion!
- Hypothese du tableau vole [videorecording] = The hypothesis of the stolen painting
(63 min.) DVD 4380 Sacha Vierny, Originally released 1968
- Il y a longtemps que je t’aime [videorecording] = I’ve loved you so long
DVD6046, 2009, 117 min. "A shell-shocked Juliette is released from prison after serving 15 years for murdering her young son. As life has moved on, she must relearn certain basics. After being banished from her family, she is now reunited with her younger sister, Lea. Hopefully, Juliette will learn to forgive herself in the process."
- Ils se marièrent et eurent beaucoup d'enfants [videorecording] = Happily ever after
DVD 3100 (2004, 100 min.) They may look like happily married, but Vincent and Gabrielle are having doubts about thier relationship. Vincent begins to weigh his options. While his evasivenss increasees, Gabrielle finds herself considering an affair of her own.
DVD 7991 After the death of their mother, a set of twins make a life-altering discovery. The pair travels to the Middle East on a mission to uncover the truth about the father they thought was dead who is still very much alive, and the brother they never knew existed. Along the way they will piece together the story of the woman who brought them into the world, discovering a tragic fate as well as the courage of an exceptional woman.
- Inch’Allah dimanche [videorecording] = Inch’Allah Sunday
DVD 5977 Yamina Benguigui, 2001
- Indigènes [videorecording] = Days of glory
DVD 3287 Rachid Bouchareb
- Internet Archive: Kino French Films
Free feature films in French (downloadable)
- Intrus [videorecording] = Intruder
DVD 4507 Claire Denis, 2004
- Invasions barbares [videorecording] = Barbarian invasions
- Je vous salue Marie [videorecording] = Hail Mary
VHS 1801 Jean Luc Godard
- Jean de Florette [videorecording] ; Manon des sources = Manon of the spring
DVD 3999 Director Claude Berri
- Jeanne la Pucelle [videorecording] = Joan the maid
DVD 685 Jacques Rivette
- Jetée [videorecording] = The pier ; Sans soleil = Sunless
DVD 4118 Chris Marker
- Jeux interdits = Forbidden games
- Jésus de Montréal [videorecording] = Jesus of Montreal
- Joueuse [videorecording] = Queen to play
DVD 8499 "Lovely and quietly intelligent, French chambermaid Hélène ... comes upon a couple ... engaged in an intensely sensual chess match and discovers she has a knack for the game. This obsession, much to the chagrin of her husband and teenage daughter, leads her to seek the clandestine tutelage of a reclusive American doctor ... a liaison that radically transforms both of their lackluster lives"--Container.
- Journal d’un curé de campagne [videorecording] = Diary of a country priest
- Journal d’une femme de chambre [videorecording] = Diary of a chambermaid
DVD 687 Luis Buñuel (1964, 98 min.) A chambermaid with Paris flair gets a job at a country estate. The family she works for and the other staff members are a strange sort and she must learn the ways of country living, neighbor rivalry, and sexual hypocrisy and scandal. After a child is murdered near the estate, she begins to have her suspicions as to who may be responsible.
- Jules et Jim [videorecording] = Jules and Jim
DVD 803 (1962, 105 min.) "The ultimate ménage-à-trois and one of the most poetic films of the French New Wave. Tells the story of a friendship between two artists - one Austrian, the other French - and their mutual love for the same woman, Catherine. Spanning two decades, this pure love affair between Jules, Jim and Catherine is temporarily interrupted by the Great War, but continues on into the 1930s when it ends suddenly and tragically." --
- Karmen Geï [videorecording]
DVD 6044 Joseph Gaï Ramaka
- L Argent
(2004, 82 min) When an innocent prank goes wrong, it becomes the definitive moment in a man's life. A forged 500 franc note is accidentally passed to an unsuspecting young man. Ignorant of its origins, he tries to use the bill but is apprehended for forgery.
- L'esquive [videorecording] = Games of love & chance
DVD 5931 (2003, 117 min) Krimo and Lydia, two childhood friends with opposite personalities, share their affection, arguments, and jealousies as they prepare for a school stage production.
- L'histoire d'Adèle H.=The story of Adele H
DVD 5499 (1975, 98 min) Based on the true story of Adele Hugo's obsessive love affair which led her to run away from home to follow her womanizing lover across an ocean to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- La ronde [videorecording] = Roundabout
DVD 6206 Roger Vadim (1950, 97 min) When it comes to matters of infidelity, everyone is considered an equal, whether it's a soldier, a maid, or an aristocrat in 1900's Vienna.
- Lady Chatterley [videorecording]
DVD 6045 Pascale Ferran
- Landmarks of early film. Vol. 2, The magic of Méliès [videorecording]
DVD 902 CORE Director Georges Melies
- Laviamoci il cervello [videorecording] = Let’s have a brainwash
VHS 7693 CORE Illibatezza written and directed by Roberto Rossellini (32 min. 10 sec.) ; La ricotta written and directed by Pier Paolo Passolini (34 min. 48 sec.) ; Il nuovo mondo written and directed by Jean Luc Godard (19 min. 53 sec.) ; Il pollo rusponte written and directed by Ugo Gregoretti (33 min. 44 sec.).
- Le fils de l'épicier [videorecording] = The grocer's son = One weekend a month
DVD 3480 (2008, 96 min.) "It is summer, and thirty-year-old Antoine is forced to leave the city to return to his family in Provençe. His father is sick, so he must assume the lifestyle he thought he had shed: driving the family grocery cart from hamlet to hamlet, delivering supplies to the few remaining inhabitants. Accompanied by Claire, a friend from Paris whom he has a secret crush on, Antoine gradually warms up to his experience in the country and his encounters with the villagers, who initially seem stubborn and gruff, but ultimately prove to be funny and endearing. This surprise French box-office hit is about the coming-of-age of a man re-discovering life and love in the countryside."--Container.
- Liaisons dangereuses [videorecording] = Dangerous Liaisons
DVD 717 Roger Vadim (1959, 102 min.) Juliette Merteuil and Valmont are two sophisticated spouses, always looking for fun and excitement, and always finding sport in each other's extramarital affairs. But there is one rule: never fall in love. But this time Valmont falls madly in love with a girl he meets at a ski resort, Marianne, who was earmarked to become his next conquest.
- Liaisons dangereuses [videorecording] = Dangerous liaisons
DVD 6221 Josée Dayan, (2003 200 min.) The latest adaptation of Choderlos de Laclos' classic story of lust, deceit and revenge. Originally broadcast as a television mini-series.
- Long dimanche de fiançailles [videorecording] = Very long engagement
DVD 2097 Jean Pierre Jeunet (2000 133 min.) Mathilde is waiting desperately for her fiance to return from the war. When bad news arrives she refuses to believe he is dead. Instead, she begins her own investigation into his death, hiring a private detective and piecing together his war story.
- Lumiére et compagnie [videorecording] = Lumiére & company
- Ma nuit chez Maud [videorecording] = My night with Maud
DVD 686 (1968, 111 min.) The narrator, an engineer and devout Catholic, seeking to find the perfect mate, moves to a provincial town and vows to marry Francoise, a pretty blond he notices at mass. Vidal, an old school friend, invites him to visit the seductive, recently divorced Maud, and the narrator ends up staying the night, having philosophical discussions in her bedroom. Next morning the narrator engineers a meeting with Francoise.
- Madame Bovary [videorecording]
VHS 1866 Jean Renoir
- Madame Bovary [videorecording]
DVD 5976 Claude Chabrol, 1991
- Man and a woman [videorecording] = Un Homme et une femme
DVD 3684 (1966, 103 min.) A daredevil race-car driver and a movie script girl meet while visiting their children's boarding school. They soon share a love filled with warmth, humor and truth, and intertwined with the demands of career and parenthood.
- Marius and Jeannette [videorecording] = Marius et Jeannette
DVD 2408 Robert Guédiguian, (1996, 102 min) "In a small port outside of Marseilles, an animated circle of friends and neighbors join to share in the funny, colorful and off-beat love story of Marius and Jeannette. The vivacious, loud-mouthed Jeannette first meets Marius when he catches her trying to steal paint from the grounds of the cement factory he was hired to guard. Although it's a precarious beginning, the two quickly turn their initial attraction into a budding romance. However, just as their relationship begins to flourish, the warm-hearted Marius retreats with no explanation. Troubled with Marius' mysterious withdrawal, Jeannette's spirited neighbors decide to intervene with hopes of helping the two unlikely lovers save their romance"--Container.
- Masculin feminin [videorecording] : 15 faits précis = Masculine, Feminine
DVD 2687 Jean Luc Godard
- Merci pour le chocolat [videorecording] = Nightcap
DVD 3113 Claude Chabrol
- Mécaniques célestes [videorecording] = Celestial clockwork
- Mépris [videorecording] = Contempt
DVD 950 Jean Luc Godard (1963, 104 min) On Capri, an Italian crew makes a German film of Homer's Odyssey; Fritz Lang directs with American money. Prokosch, the producer, with his sneer and red Alfa, holds art films in contempt and hires writer Javal to help Lang commercialize the picture. Against this backdrop, Javal's marriage to Camille, a young former typist, disintegrates. It opens with the couple talking in bed, she asking assurance that he finds her attractive. Later that day he introduces her to Prokosch, and, unawares, blunders unforgivably. The rest of the film portrays her, in their apartment and in public, expressing her hurt and change of heart and his slow grasp of the source of her contempt.
- Mississippi mermaid
- Molière [videorecording]
- Mon Oncle d’Amerique [videorecording] = My American uncle
VHS 6057 director, Alan Resnais
- Mon coeur est témoin [videorecording] = My heart is my witness
VHS 7591 Louise Carré
- Mon oncle [videorecording] = My uncle
DVD1615, 2006, 116 min. "A comedy in which the vague and clumsy M. Hulot, in contrast to his more wealthy sister and brother-in-law, is constantly at odds with the modern world. Monsieur Hulot's brother-in-law is the manager of a factory where plastics are manufactured. His nephew grows up in a house where everything is fully automated and the boy is raised in a similar fashion. To take away the influence of the uncle on his son, his brother-in-law gets Hulot a job in his factory."
- Monsieur Lazhar
DVD 8891 (2012, 94 min) At a Montreal public grade school, an Algerian immigrant is hired to replace a popular teacher who committed suicide in her classroom. While helping his students deal with their grief, his own recent loss is revealed.
- Moolaadé [videorecording]
DVD 2555 CORE Sembene Ousmane, 2004
- My dinner with André [videorecording]
DVD 6323 Louis Malle
- Napoleon [videorecording]
- Nirvana [videorecording]
DVD 2015 Gabriele Salvatores
- Noire de ... [videorecording] = Black girl. Borom sarret [videorecording] = The wagoner
DVD 2585 CORE
- Notre musique [videorecording]
DVD 3705 Jean-Luc Godard
- Nuit et brouillard [videorecording] = Night and fog
- Numero deux [videorecording] = Aumero deux = Number two
VHS 6427 CORE Godard's exploration of the modern family unit and how it suffers in the computerized, capitalistic world.
- Oeil de Vichy [videorecording] = The eye of Vichy
DVD 659 Claude Chabrol
- Of gods and men
Eight French Christian monks live in harmony with their Muslim brothers in a monastery in the mountains of North Africa in the 1990's. When a crew of foreign workers are massacred by an Islamic fundamentalist group, fear sweeps though the region. The army offers them protection, but the monks refuse. Should they leave? Despite the growing menace in their midst, they slowly realize that they have no choice but to stay, come what may.
- One hundred and one nights
DVD 6878 Charming homage to 100 years of cinema framed by the tale of an old man who hires a student to tell him movie stories. Numerous film clips, cameos.
- Orphée [videorecording] = Orpheus
DVD 1272 Writer/director Jean Cocteau
- Outside the law
DVD 7948 Three brothers fight for Algeria's independence from France after World War II.
- Pacte des loups [videorecording] = Brotherhood of the wolf
- Parapluies de Cherbourg [videorecording] = The umbrellas of Cherbourg
DVD 1326 (1964, 92 min) Jacques Demy's valentine to the classic Hollywood movie is one of the most beloved romantic movies of all time. A tender, bittersweetand ill-fated love story in which every word of dialogue is sung (in French).
- Partie de campange
- Passeport à l’Afrique Francophone [videorecording] : a resource for the French speaking classroom
- Petite Jérusalem [videorecording] = Little Jerusalem
DVD 2849 In a Paris suburb nicknamed Little Jerusalem, a family of Sephardic Orthodox immigrants shares a low-income apartment. Beautiful, teenaged Laura distances herself from her family's religion and her own burgeoning desire by devoting every waking moment to intellectual discipline and secular philosophy. Mathilde, Laura's married older sister, worries that strict observance of the Torah's marital codes has driven her husband Ariel into the bed of another. When Laura falls under the spell of Djamel, a handsome Muslim journalist, and Mathilde discovers that her worst fears are true, the two very different sisters find themselves in very similar crises.
- Pépé le Moko [videorecording]
- Pianiste [videorecording] = The piano teacher
DVD 3665 Haneke
- Pierrot le fou [videorecording] = Pierrot goes wild
DVD 1530 CORE Jean-Luc Godard (1965, 110 min.) Leaving wife and child behind, Ferdinand takes off on a wild adventure with the babysitter Marianne. As they become entangled with murder and gangsters, mysterious events destroy their happiness and lead to an explosive finale.
DVD 5167 CORE Jacques Tati
- Potíche [videorecording] = Trophy wife
DVD 8534 "A housebound trophy housewife steps in to manage the umbrella factory run by her tyrannical husband after the workers go on strike. To everyone's surprise, Suzanne proves herself a competent and assertive woman of action."--Container.
- Poto mitan [videorecording] : Haitian women, pillars of the global economy
- Poupées russes [videorecording] = Russian dolls
DVD 3688 (2006m 129 min) In this sequel to L'Auberge espagnole, Xavier, now thirty, reunites again with his old friends from his time in Barcelona when William marries a Russian dancer in Saint Petersburg. Although he is working as a writer, Xavier has been unable to publish his serious novel. He is ghostwriting celebrity memoirs and writing scripts for corny TV soap operas. His love life is a series of short-term encounters. When he loses his apartment, his lesbian friend Isabelle lets him stay at her place and gives him advice. He reconnects with William's sister Wendy in London as part of a scriptwriting project, but then also becomes involved with glamorous model Celia. Will Xavier overcome his indecisiveness about his career and love life or will he keep moving on, searching for the next, perfect thing?
- Prenom Carmen [videorecording]
DVD 207 Jean-Luc Godard
- Presenting Sacha Guitry
1. Story of a cheat = Le roman d'un tricheur (1936, 81 min.) / director, Sacha Guitry Considered Sacha Guitry’s masterpiece, this fleet, witty picaresque about a gambler and petty thief is a whimsical delight. Guitry himself stars as the “tricheur” looking back fondly on a life of crime, which he narrates with an effervescence matched by his clever editing and cinematography. With its rapid storytelling and inventive use of voice-over, The Story of a Cheat’s style has influenced filmmakers from Orson Welles to François Truffaut. 1936 2. The pearls of the crown = Les perles de la couronne (1937, 105 min.) / director, Sacha Guitry Sacha Guitry plays four roles—including King Francis I and Napoleon—in this multilingual whirlwind of pageantry that investigates the fate of three pearls missing from the royal crown of England. Guitry’s first script written directly for the screen rockets through four centuries of European history with imaginative, winking irreverence. 3. DÉSIRÉ (1937, 97 min.) / director, Sacha Guitry Sacha Guitry exchanges his usual top hat for a uniform in Désiré, in which he plays a cavalier valet embroiled in an awkward flirtation with his new employer (played by the actor-director’s real-life wife, Jacqueline Delubac), who is involved with a stuffy politician. A carefree class farce filled with memorable supporting characters, Désiré blurs the line between upstairs and downstairs. 4. Quadrille (1938, 95 min.) A sparkling four-way affair overflowing with dialogue that showcases writer-director Sacha Guitry’s wit, Quadrille stars Guitry as a magazine editor whose longtime girlfriend (whom he hopes to make his fiancée) is uncontrollably drawn to a handsome American movie star. Meanwhile, a discerning reporter (Jacqueline Delubac) watches from the sidelines with amusement and provides the final corner of this romantic rectangle.
- Prise de pouvoir par Louis XIV = Taking of power by Louis XIV
DVD 8539 (94 min.) Cardinal Mazarin dies in 1661. The young Louis asserts his intention to govern as well as rule. Mazarin's fiscal advisor, Colbert, warns against Fouquet, who wants to be prime minister and is looting the treasury. Fouquet believes Louis will soon tire of exercizing power and overplays his hand. Louis' mistress reports this to the king who arrests Fouquet. Louis and Colbert design a brilliant strategy to keep merchants making money, nobles in debt, the urban poor working and fed, and peasants untaxed. Years later, in a coda, Louis exercises the power of the sun.
- Prophète = Prophet
- Queen Margot [videorecording] = La reine Margot
DVD 1949 (1994, 144 min.) Thrown into a political marriage of convenience by her ruthlessly power-hungry family, the beautiful Margot soon finds herself hopelessly drawn into their murderous affairs. It's then she realizes her only hope of escape lies somewhere between the heroic soldier who loves her and the enemy husband who could save her.
- Rachida [videorecording]
DVD 4122. Director Yamina Bachir-Chouikh
- Remembrance of things to come
DVD 5069 Summary: "... codirected by Chris Marker and Bellon’s daughter Yannick, uses Bellon’s photographs to create a ... historical portrait of the two decades between 1935 and 1955. Leaping back and forth in time, from family portraits of Bellon and her two daughters, to her unique photographic record of pre-war Paris - the first surrealist exhibition, the 1937 Paris World’s Fair, the birth of the Cinématheque Française, and the Popular Front, - to images from France’s African colonies, the Spanish Civil War, the Second World War and the German Occupation, the images in this ... "cineessays" are complemented by Chris Marker’s ... commentary (read by ... Alexandra Stewart), a complex rumination on the interrelations between photography, memory, thought and history." -- cover sheet Notes: Bonus film: "Colette" by Yannick Bellon. (26 min. / b&w / French w. English subtitles. / c. 1950, Les Films Jacqueline Jacoupy ; c. 2008, Les Films de l’Equinoxe).
- Ressources humaines [videorecording] = Human resources
DVD 5705 Laurent Cantet., 1999
- Retour de Martin Guerre = Return of Martin Guerre
DVD 2605 (1982, 123 min.) The plot revolves around the unraveling of the identity of a 16th century peasant who disappeared as a young husband, and the man who returns to resume his marriage nine years later.
- Revue des revues [videorecording]
DVD 996 Joe Francys with Josephine Baker, 1927
- Régle du jeu [videorecording] : fantaisie dramatique de Jean Renoir = Rules of the game
DVD732 CORE, 106 min. 2004 "Cloaked in a comedy of manners, this scathing critique of corrupt French society is set on the eve of World War II. It contrasts the affairs of the French aristocracy and members of the working class at a weekend hunting party. Masters and their servants are involved in an immoral, amorous, and erotic charade that builds to a shattering climax."
- Révolution française
- Ridicule [videorecording]
DVD 3140 Patrice Leconte, 1996
- Roi de coeur [videorecording] = King of hearts
- Roseaux sauvages [videorecording] = Wild reeds
- Sang d’un poète [videorecording] = The blood of a poet
DVD 1271. Writer/director Jean Cocteau
- Scaphandre et le papillon [videorecording] = Diving bell and the butterfly
- Screaming man
DVD 8003 When a hotel in Chad is taken over by foreign owners, Adam, a former swim champ, is forced to give up his job at the pool to his young son. Meanwhile, the country is at war, and Adam makes a rash decision he will forever regret. Includes bonus features.
- Secret [videorecording] = A secret
- Sexy Inc. [videorecording] : nos enfants sous influence
DVD 5715 (2007, 36 min.)
- Sisters in resistance
DVD 7220 (2000, 60 min.) Shares the story of four French women who fought for the French resistance against Nazi occupation.
- Temps retrouvé [videorecording] = Time regained
- Testament d’Orpheé, ou, Ne me demandez pas pourquoi [videorecording] = Testament of Orpheus, or, Do not ask me why
DVD 1270 Writer/director Jean Cocteau
- That obscure object of desire [videorecording] = Cet obscur objet du désir
DVD 674 (1977, 126 min.) Special feature: reprinted interview with director Luis Buñuel Middle-aged man falls in love with a much younger woman in this satire of sexual obsession.
- Tirez sur le pianiste [videorecording] = Shoot the piano player
DVD 2297 (1960 82 min.) Charlie Kohler is a piano player in a bar. Lena, a waitress at the bar, is in love with him. One of Charlie's brother, Chico, a crook, takes refuge in the bar because he is being chased by two gangsters, Momo and Ernest. But Charlie's real name is Edouard Saroyan, who was once a virtuoso who gave up playing after his wife's suicide. Charlie now has to deal wih Chico, Ernest, Momo, Fido (his youngest brother who lives with him), and Lena. Charlie ends up stumbling into the criminal underworld and a whirlwind love affair.
- Tous les matins du monde [videorecording] = All the mornings of the world
VHS 6283 director, Alain Corneau.
- Tout va b!en [videorecording] = Everything’s all right
DVD 1203 CORE Jean Luc Godard (1972, 96 min) The story of a wildcat strike at a sausage factory, as witnessed by an American reporter and her has-been New Wave film director husband. Culminates in a free-range assault on consumer capitalism and ineffective leftists. A caustic critique of society, marriage, and revolution in post-1968 France.
- Trois couleurs Rouge [videorecording] = Three colors. Red
- Trois couleurs, blanc [videorecording] = Three colors, white
DVD 266 contains 3 of Kieslowski student films : Trolley ; The face ; The office
- Trois couleurs, bleu [videorecording] = Three colors, blue
- Troubles we've seen : a history of war-time journalism
DVD8831, 2005, 3 discs. "The film follows Marcel Ophul's two journeys to Sarajevo in 1993. He goes there to work on a documentary but ends up also learning about truth and life. The film contains many interviews with journalists and reporters including Christiane Amanpour, John Burns, and Martha Gelhorn."
- Un Dimanche à la campagne [videorecording] = A Sunday in the country
DVD 107 Monsieur Ladmiral, an aging impressionist painter, spends his usual Sunday afternoon visit with his family ruminating over life’s small pleasures and inevitable disappointments until his daughter Irene arrives. Irene, a whirlwind of activity for whom life itself is an art, has a magical reviving effect on her father and the world suddenly takes on the beautiful hues and feelings of an Impressionist masterpiece.
- Vatel [videorecording]
- Veuve de Saint-Pierre = The Widow of Saint-Pierre
DVD 5999 Patrice Leconte
- Vie de Jésus [videorecording] = Life of Jesus
- Vie en rose [videorecording] = Life in Pink
DVD 4843 Olivier Dahan, 2007
- Vie est un long fleuve tranquille [videorecording] = Life is a long quiet river
DVD 7477 CORE
- Vie et rien d’autre [videorecording] = Life and nothing but
DVD 3581 Bertrand Tavernier, 1989
- Vie quotidienne des Parisiens au temps du Roi Soleil [videorecording]
- Viva Laldjérie [videorecording] = Viva Algeria
DVD 3703. Writer/director Nadir Moknèche
- Vivre sa vie [videorecording] : Film en douze tableaux = My life to live : a film in twelve scenes
DVD 1561 Jean-Luc Godard
- Voix humaine [videorecording]
DVD 3024. libretto by Jean Cocteau ; director, Jean-Luc Tingaud.
- Waking up French--! Réveíl [videorecording] : the repression and renaissance of the French in New England
- Wall [videorecording] = Le mur
DVD 663 Written and directed by Alain Berliner
- Weekend [videorecording]
DVD 4000 Jean-Luc Godard
- White material [videorecording]
DVD 8792 (2011, 105 min.)
- Women in the Arab world. 3, Morocco: the rights of women
- Éloge de l'amour = In praise of love
DVD 554 (2001, 98 min) This film is divided into two sections which pivot on the death of a young woman. In Part one Edgar, a film director, has searched out Elle to star in a film he is trying to make depicting what he calls the four stages of love. The second part of the film flashes back two years to the time when Edgar first met Elle, the granddaughter of an elderly couple, veterans of the French Resistance, who were selling the rights to their story.