Access Services Student Assistant (Spring 2014)
Student Assistants work at the Circulation Desk charging and discharging library materials to users. This position does not supervise other student assistants.Essential Duties
- Answer the Circulation Desk phone and greet visitors
- Answer questions/explain policies pertaining to fines/fees/recalls/due dates
- Accept electronic fine payments
- Check out/in Library books, interlibrary loans, reserves, laptops and peripherals
- Deliver books to other departments on campus
- Fill public copiers with paper/toner, clear jams, as needed
- Assist patrons with scanning/copier/microfilm equipment questions
- Maintain the public printers and sort print jobs in the absence of ITS staff
- Scan documents for reserve/interlibrary loan as needed
- Respond to security-gate alarms
- Shelf reading of Library books
- Search the stacks for library materials
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; Windows, MS Office and copier/printer experience; must be able to work days/nights/weekends. Library volunteer/work experience or experience at a customer service desk preferred.
How to Apply: Please submit a one-page statement of interest for working at the Library, a resume and library application (link on this page) to the Circulation Desk, attention Bernard Hogben, Manager, Access Services. Applications are being accepted until all positions are filled. Applicants will be notified by Friday December 20 of the status of their application.
Interlibrary Loan Student Assistant, Access Services (Spring 2014)
ILL Student Assistants work under the supervision of the library Interlibrary Loan staff. This position does not supervise other student assistants.Essential Duties
- Complete job duties according to departmental procedures
- Retrieve materials from the library stacks using Library of Congress call numbers
- Look up call numbers using the on-line catalog
- Search library databases/web for Borrowing article requests
- Scan journal articles and other materials
- Update, send and receive articles through online software systems
- Package books and other materials for shipment to other libraries
- Open and sort incoming mail
- Prepare and place book straps on items
- Perform filing duties
- Prioritize tasks to efficiently and accurately coordinate ones workflow
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Capable of working independently, the ideal candidate will: be able to follow verbal and written instructions, be detail oriented, able to lift/push at least 40 lb, and have Windows and office equipment experience. Must be able to work a minimum of 4 hours, with an established schedule between the hours of 8:00am to 4:30pm pm Mon through Fri. Library experience is helpful, but not required.
- Proficient with Windows-based operating systems
- Knowledge of office equipment such as copier, scanner, fax, electric stapler, etc.
- Ability to lift/push at least 40 lbs
- Attention to detail
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Capable of working independently
- Must be able to work an established schedule
- Library experience helpful, but not required
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter/statement of interest, resume, and library application to the Circulation Desk, attention to ILL. Applications are being accepted until all positions are filled. Applicants will be notified by December 20th of the status of their application.
- If you become a fan of the Library on Facebook, you will get a super-secret, extra-early notice of jobs.
Staff & Librarian Jobs
There are no staff or librarian jobs available at this time.