Music Center Student Assistant (Fall 2013)
Customer service is a primary responsibility of this position. Students who staff the Music Center desk are trained in the advanced use of the web-based library catalog, article databases, and library procedures to be able to provide help to patrons requiring research assistance. Other varied duties include:
- Processing new sound recordings, music books, and scores
- Assisting with ordering and cataloging of music materials (working with technical module of library catalog, remote databases, and data entry)
- Shelving music books and scores; maintaining order and organization of music collection
- Working with direction and independently to maintain the quality of patron experience when using the collection or requiring help
- Working on various other projects as assigned
- Answering phones
- A friendly, approachable, service-oriented attitude is essential, as is the ability to work without direct supervision on evenings and weekends
- Music major or significant coursework in music required
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Excellent organizational and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently when required
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel preferred
Average 7-10 hours per week, starting at $7.50/hr. Students will be assigned hours during the times that the music center is open: Monday– Thursday (10am-10pm), Friday– Saturday (10am – 5pm), Sunday (12pm – 8pm)
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a cover letter and application to Kristina Shanton, Music Librarian, at the Music Center desk (3rd Floor, Gannett). Please leave the availability section blank if you are unsure of your Fall schedule. Deadline for applications is Friday, April 5. Interviewing begins immediately and all applicants will be notified the status of their application by Friday, April 19th.
- If you become a fan of the Library on Facebook, you will get a super-secret, extra-early notice of jobs.
Staff & Librarian Jobs
There are no staff or librarian jobs available at this time.