From Library Desktop Computers Using GoPrint
Printing from Library computers is free. You can select staple or 3-hole punch options from the printer menu. Your job will print to the circulation desk on the second floor.
Color Printing & Copying
The Library has a color printer / copier, located to the right of the Circulation Desk. It prints PDF, JPG, and TIFF files. The charge is 30 cents per copy. If you need to print a Word or Powerpoint file, convert it to a PDF first. The color printer is not networked, so please save the file you want to print to a flash drive and then bring that to the printer.
- If you're in a hurry, try our print-only stations. There are two located to the right of the circulation desk on the second floor and another to the left of the reference desk (also second floor).
Why Print Management?
- A print management system will reduce paper and toner waste and encourage the responsible use of limited resources. Currently, about 20% of the paper printed in the Library and the labs is not claimed by users or is immediately discarded.
- This system will put in place a sustainable model for providing free printing for the majority of printing undertaken by students and to provide a reasonable cost for those who need to purchase additional pages.
Why a Trial Period?
The trial period will allow us to collect aggregate (non-identifiable) data about printing patterns in the library. The data collected will be used to make a recommendation of a reasonable allowance for free printing.
How Does It Work?
All currently enrolled IC students who have a Netpass account will have an unlimited printing allowance during the trial period (2013-14 academic year).
To print from a Library computer:
- When you click "print," a GoPrint popup will appear.
- Log into GoPrint using your Netpass username and password.
- Select what you want to print from the Print Jobs list.
- Pick up your printout at the Circulation Desk.
- Don't forget to log out of GoPrint.
The Library has four copiers: three on the second floor and one on the third. The middle copier/scanner on the second floor will accept change. There is also a color copier/scanner on the third floor that accepts coins. The others require an ID Express account. A machine for adding funds to your ID card is located near the copiers on the second floor.
The color copier on the second floor and the black and white copier on the third floor also serve as scanners. You can save your scans as PDF, TIFF, or JPEG files. These copiers are not networked, so you'll need to save your work to a flash drive. Flash drives are available for check out at the circulation desk.
- We know it's free, but please print responsibly. This saves trees and helps us keep our operating costs down.
- E-mail yourself the URLs of sites you are interested in rather than print them.
- Use the "print preview" feature to see how a document will print. Only print when you are satisfied with the preview.
- Watch those PowerPoints! If you're not careful, PowerPoint will print one slide to a page. Try printing as "handouts" to get more slides per page.
- Rather than copying print materials, scan them to read on your computer, tablet, or smartphone. Scanning is free—copying costs money.
- Don't resend your job if it doesn't immediately print. There may be other jobs ahead of yous in the queue or the printer may have run out of paper. ITS consultants can help.