Find It Here: Library Resources for IC Staff and Faculty
Please note that the IC Library has an extensive array of additional resources that support scholarly research - consult the Library's webpage to view our online subject guides or scan the Library's complete Database Offerings.
Leisure Reading and Viewing
A browsable list of the Library's collection of DVD's - includes links to Internet Movie Database reviews. You can also search our Films and Videos by Genre list that is organized by genre - e.g. children's films, adventure films, film noir.
IC Library Current Literature Collection
A browsable list of current fiction in print and audio books on cd- new titles are added on a continuing basis. The collection is shelved on the left side of the shelving unit just inside the main entrance.
New Acquisitions in the Library
A browsable list of new books, music, and dvd's. The new books are shelved on the right side of the shelving unit just inside the main entrance.
A collection of over 109,000 ebooks covering business & economics, education, technology, the humanities, life & physical sciences, law & politics, medicine, social & behavioral sciences, language & literature, and career guidance. You can view and print pages from these ebooks - and they are available 24/7 from your desktop or laptop! ebrary ebooks are also included in the IC Library's catalog and will appear in your search results with the phrase "electronic book" as the call number.
A comprehensive database with newspaper, magazine, and journal articles on a wide range of topics: business, computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, health care, hobbies, humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science, sports, technology, and many general interest topics. Millions of full-text articles, many with images. Updated daily. Includes access to Consumer Reports Magazine. Good resource for high school students and adult researchers.
Health and Wellness
Current information on medical conditions and related medical tests, complementary medicine, and drug guides.
Food and Fitness: A Dictionary of Diet and Exercise (Oxford Reference Online)
Evaluate the claims made about different diets and types of exercise. Covers diet methods, food supplements, sports injuries, exercises for improving strength, flexibility, stamina, and weight control.
Unbiased information for mutual funds and stocks. Quicktake Reports include portfolio, risk, performance, and management information. Reports are issued twice a month on a five-month schedule. Each fund is rated once every five months. All pricing information is current, and ratings and risk information are updated daily. You can create a portfolio using selective criteria - e.g. small cap, large cap, typical return, and Morningstar Rating.
See Jim Bondra's (Business and Economics Librarian) Guide to Using Morningstar to Find Stocks and Mutual Funds (.doc) or see this short instructional video.
- U.S. Decennial Census schedules, 1790-1930 (with state censuses and city directories as 1890 Census proxies).
- UK and Irish Census schedules, 1841-1901. Scottish Censuses, 1841-1861. Canadian Censuses, 1901-1911, and provincial censuses, 1851-1906.
- The Social Security Death Index. Parish records, birth, marriage, and death records.
- Immigration records, including New York and San Francisco passenger lists.
- Military records, including World War I and World War II draft registration cards.
- Fulltext materials, e.g., Federal Writers' Project Slave Narratives. World War II-era Stars and Stripes editions.
Accessing Licensed Online Resources
Access to licensed online resources is available to anyone with a current Ithaca College email account. When you click on a licensed resource, you will be prompted to enter your Ithaca College email username and password. After successfully logging-in, you will not need to reauthenticate for the remainder of your online session.
Online resources are available 24 hours every day with the exception of the Library's catalog which is down during the 2:30 a.m. - 4:30 a.m time period.
Ithaca College Historical Photographs
IC Oral History Project
Listen to audio interviews with retired College faculty members and administrators, including President Emerita Peggy Ryan Williams and Art Ostrander, former Dean of the School of Music.
Consumer Information Sources
Links to sites with recipes, product recalls, automobile guides, cellular plan comparisons, and other general consumer topics.
Your Public Library
For example, check out the extensive list of Online Resources offered by the Tompkins County Public Library - anyone with a library card for the TCPL (or any other library in the Finger Lakes Library System) has access.
The Finger Lakes Library System has a special Children's Catalog interface that is designed for easy searching by young children. Holdings for member libraries in the region are included.
Sites For Young Children
- ABC Fast Phonics - a free tutorial that uses cartoons and sounds with audio narration and clickable words to teach phonics.
- Absolutley Whootie: Stories to Grow By - stories from around the world for children and teachers; children can submit their own stories for publication, also
- Click Magazine for Kids - fun and creative projects to print and pursue offline, audio recordings of stories, recommendations for books, and games
- EPA Environmental Kids Club - explore the environment and learn how to protect it.
- InsideStory Flashcards - high quality vocabulary flashcards with great photographic images.
- International Children's Digital Library - excite and inspire the world's children to become members of the world community.
- Meet Me at the Corner - Virtual Field Trips for Kids - meet people from all over the world.
- Online Spelling Program - Over 42,000 spelling words and ten learning games.
- Space Weather Center - Earth science, space physics, planetary science, and astrophysics.
- Starchild: A Learning Center for Young Astronomers - A Learning Center for Young Astronomers
- WayBack: U.S. History for Kids - Fun history facts and games.
- Zeeks.com - a safe place for children to search the web and play games online