FINA-41000-Real Time Portfolio Management
Company/Industry Event News & Ideas
- 10-Q Detective -Investors often overlook SEC filings, and it is the job of the 10Q Detective to dig through businesses’ 8-K and 10-Q SEC filings, looking for financial statement ‘soft spots,(depreciation policies, warranty reserves, and restructuring charges, etc.) that may materially impact Quality of Earnings.
- Footnoted.org -Each day, the site takes a closer look at the things that companies try to bury in their routine SEC filings. Some posts are simply quirky little factoids while others tennd to focus on more serious issues, like aggressive accounting, excessive compensation or the type of questionable self dealing that can often be indicative of more serious problems at a company.
- Wall Street Journal MarketBeat Blog-Wall Street Journal's look at the financial markets.
- Wall Street Journal Real Time Economics Blog-Coverage throughout the day of major developments in the economy. Follows the Federal Reserve, Treasury and other government policy makers. Also covers global economics.
Company & Industry Analysis
- Morningstar -Stock and mutual fund research resource. Gives independent analysis and recommendations. Screening capability.
- Value Line Investment Survey -covers about 2000 companies and 100 industries. Each are updated quarterly. Rankings of industries and upgrade/downgrades of companies done weekly.
- Seeking Alpha
Corporate Earnings call transcripts. These are the transcripts from quarterly and yearly earnings announcements are done by corporate officers to various finanical analysts.
- Business Insights Essentials -Includes company profiles, brand information, rankings, investment reports, company histories, chronologies and periodicals. Search this database to find detailed company and industry news and information. Coverage is from 1980 to the present.
- LexisNexis Academic-Full-text access to continuously updated news, law, and business information. Highlights: News: newswires, transcripts, regional, national/international news. Business: company profiles, news, analyst reports and SEC filings. Screening capability as well as listings of a company's competitors.
- Standard & Poor's Industry Survey-Coverage of major industries in the U.S.,quarterly. Statistics, suggested sources, overviews including trends, major players, regulatory issues, etc. Supplemented by Monthly Investment Review. Latest two years in REFERENCE. Older editions in stacks. REF HC106.6 S74 . Good starting point to learn what to look at for a specific industry when doing analysis.
- Standard & Poor's Industry Survey (example from website)
- Wall Street Prep
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)