ICSM The Power of Water
The Power of Water
Use this guide to find resources on water sustainability and its media representations. This interdicsiplinary guide approaches the topic from multiple viewpoints in the arts and sciences.
Photo by: Ian Britton
Table of Contents
- Best Bets: Databases
- Background: Water defined
- Library Books
- Non-profit and Educational Organizations
- Governmental Organizations
- Helen Cooper's Water Photography
- Video demo: How to sign up for Noodlebib
- Contact Us
- Noodlebib + User's Guide
- Circulation Policy
- Hours and Floor Maps
- Clicking the GET IT arrow
- Article Quick Search Examples
- Prof. Alper's Blog
- Readings on Reserve
- Related Guides: Water
- EPA: Water
- Water.org News
- CSG: Water news
- Library Videos
Best Bets: Databases
News: these library database aggregate many newspaper titles:
- Gannett Newsstand Complete
Contains over 85 Gannett newspapers, 6 of which are New York newspapers. These include the Ithaca Journal (Full-text for 2002 - present), Poughkeepsie Journal, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Journal News (White Plains), Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton) and Star-Gazette (Elmira).
- LexisNexis Academic
Full-text access to continuously updated news, law, and business information. Highlights: News: newswires, transcripts, regional, national/international news, & Gallup Polls; Legal: law review articles, federal case law, and federal/state codes; Business: company profiles, country profiles, and SEC filings; People: directories from the entertainment industry, elected officials, executives, politicians, and obituaries. Also has a section that includes full-text of several health newsletters and abstracts of articles in major medical journals.
- Academic OneFile
Peer-reviewed, full-text articles from journals and reference sources. Coverage includes the sciences, technology, medicine, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects. Also includes transcripts and audio from all National Public Radio programs. Available in both PDF and HTML full-text; updated daily. Coverage is from 1980-present.
- Academic Search Premier
Multi-disciplinary database which includes a large collection of peer-reviewed journals in many areas of academic study including: archaeology, area studies, astronomy, biology, chemistry, ethnic & multicultural studies, law, mathematics, music, physics, psychology, religion & theology, women's studies, and other fields. Coverage varies, but begins in the 1990s for most journals.
- General OneFile
Current journal and news information in humanities, education, business, science, art, politics, economics, social sciences, law, health care, computers, technology and environmental issues.
- ProQuest Research Library
From business and political science to literature and psychology, ProQuest Research Library™ provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 5,060 titles—over 3,600 in full text—from 1971 forward. It features a highly-respected, diversified mix of scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, and newspapers.
- AP Images
A database of over 160 years of history as witnessed by The Associated Press. Photos: more than 3.6 million photographs from 1825 to today, with about 3,000 new photos added every day. Graphics: more than one hundred thousand graphics, including maps, timelines, logos and graphs. Audio: over 4,500 hours of audio clips from the 1920s forward. Links to hourly newscasts on the home page under the audio tab. Note: This database may be used for educational purposes only. Images may not be posted on the Web or otherwise made available electronically to anyone outside the Ithaca College community. These images may not be republished or distributed in newspapers, newsletters, magazines, brochures, catalogs, yearbooks, calendars, posters, or similar materials.
Database of more than 1,000,000 digital images representing visual and material culture across cultures and time periods. Documents the fields of architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, and design, as well as many other forms of visual culture. ARTstor tools enable the ability to save groups of images online for personal and classroom use. IC's Visual Resources Collection (VRC) of over 20,000 images is now available. Look for the Ithaca College-Visual Resouces Collection link in the lower middle section of the page.
- Image Collection
Search for articles with images across EBSCO databases using the Image Search interface. Thumbnails will display in the results list when using this interface.
- Life Photo Archive (hosted by Google)
Searchable archive of photos from the magazine Life. Also arranged by decade for browsability.
- NYPL Digital Library
Images digitized from the collections of the New York Public Library, includes illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints and photographs, and illustrated books. Images may be downloaded 'for a wide range of educational, creative, and research purposes'. High resolution images may be obtained for personal or commercial if permission is obtained from the NYPL Photographic Services and Permissions division.
- Prelinger Archives
Over 48,000 films, over 90 old time radio audio clips, 2,000 game videos, 250 independent news clips and much more (including educational films, advertisements and industry films)
Full length commercially supported documentary films that can be streamed anywhere on the web. Currently includes 2,100 films.
- ATLA religion database with ATLASerials
Religion index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays.
Subject=Water ; Subject=Deluge
- Literature Online (LION) with MLA (NOTE: this database will be cancelled July 21st, 2013; it will be replaced by a free-standing subscription to the MLA index).
Project MUSE offers full-text current and archival articles from 600+ scholarly journals from major university presses covering literature and criticism, history, performing arts, cultural studies, education, philosophy, political science, gender studies, and more. Updated continually.
- Project Muse
Full-text scholarly journals in the Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences and Mathematics; Coverage varies by journal but generally only 2-3 current years.
- MLA International Bibliography
The MLA International Bibliography is a classified listing and subject index of scholarly books and articles on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics which has been compiled by the Modern Language Association of America since 1926.
- Naxos Music Library
A comprehensive collection of classical music available online. It includes the complete Naxos, Marco Polo and Dacapo catalogues of over 85,000 tracks, including Classical music, Jazz, World, Folk and Chinese music. While listening, you can read notes on the works being played as well as biographical information on composers or artists. Works best on library computers with Internet Explorer.
- PARABOLA (magazine): ATLA Religion Database indexes this magazine but it is not fulltext. Note: Ithaca College Library has this in print. If you can't come to the library, try an Interlibrary Loan request.
- Try a search for "water" in this database that provides general overviews and analysis of literary texts.
- Perseus Digital Library
Links to over 30,000 images of Architecture, Archaeological Sites, Coins, Vases, and Sculpture from the ancient world.
- Biological Abstracts
Provides abstracts and bibliographic references to journal items focusing on vital biological and medical research findings, pharmacological studies, and discoveries of new organisms. Includes some linked full text.
Full-text scientific, technological, medical journals; subjects covered include biology, biochemistry, business management and accounting, chemistry, computer science, economics, finance, environmental science, mathematics, medicine, neuroscience, nursing, physics, psychology, education, and communication. Includes access to selected full-text reference books. Indexing/Abstracts to additional titles.
An index drawing on the connection between the environment and disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology. GreenFILE provides a unique perspective on the positive and negative ways humans affect the environment. Nearly 300,000 records (full text for selected titles) from scholarly and general interest titles, as well as government documents and reports.
- National Geographic Magazine: Water: A Special Issue
Background: Water defined
Water is defined in many contexts. The following are entries from online encyclopedias via Ithaca College Library. Use Netpass to login:
- "Water" (Encyclopaedia Britannica Online )
- "Water" (Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics)
- "Water" (Gale Encyclopedia of Diets)
- "Water" (Oxford Companion to Global Change)
- "Water" (Oxford Dictionary of English)
- "Water, n" (Oxford English Dictionary) **Contains the history of the word
- "Water" (A Dictionary of Biology)
- "Water" (A Dictionary of Chemistry)
- "Water" (A Dictionary of the Bible)
- "Water" (Facts.com)
- "Water" (Food and Fitness: A Dictionary of Diet and Exercise)
- "Water" (WordNet) Contains the semantic relations of the word
- "Water and Epidemic Diseases" (Encyclopedia of Pestilence, Pandemics, and Plagues)
- "Water Pollution" (West's Encyclopedia of American Law)
- "Water Pollution" (International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- "Water Resources" (International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- "Water Rights" (West's Encyclopedia of American Law)
- "Baptism (Christianity)" (Britannica Academic Edition)
- "Cosmology" (Encyclopaedia Judaica)
- Dams (Facts.com)
- "The Flood" (Encyclopaedia Judaica)
- "Mermaid" (Britannica Academic Edition)
- "Nymphs" (Oxford Companion to World Mythology)
- "Red Sea" (Encyclopaedia Judaica)
- "Rod of Moses" (Encyclopaedia Judaica)
- "Rusalka" (Oxford Companion to World Mythology)
- "Water of Life" (Oxford Companion to World Mythology)
- "Water Pot Boy" (Oxford Companion to World Mythology)
By clicking on one of the subjects, below, you'll find every book in the datbase Ebrary that is about that particular subject.
- Losing Paradise the Water Crisis in the Mediterranean. (2010). Farnham, England: Ashgate. This is an e-book; it can be viewed fulltext online.
- Barlow, M. (2002). Blue gold: the fight to stop the corporate theft of the world’s water. New York: New Press.
- Fishman, C. (2011). The big thirst: the secret life and turbulent future of water. New York: Free Press.
- Kandel, R. S. (2003). Water from heaven the story of water from the big bang to the rise of civilization, and beyond. New York: Columbia University Press. This is an e-book; it can be viewed fulltext online.
- OECD Studies on Water: Water Security for Better Lives. (ebook from the OECD).
- OECD Studies on Water: Water and Climate Change Adaptation: Policies to navigate uncharted waters (ebook from OECD).
- OECD Studies on Water: browse the complete series.
By clicking on one of the subjects, below, you'll find every book in the datbase Ebrary that is about that particular subject.
- Bottled water
- Drinking Water
- Hydroelectric power plants
- Municipal water supply
- Stream restoration
- Stream conservation
- Water resources development
- Water in art
- Water consumption
- Water districts
- Water Quality
- Water Resources Development
- Water supply
- Water use
- Water utilities
Non-profit and Educational Organizations
Critical Thinking tip: Try and discover who develops the websites you look at: are they trying to sell you something? Do they have a particular point-of-view? Try reading the "About" page.
- All About Water This educational site covers: water treatment alternatives, the truth about bottled water, and basic water facts.
- Water Program (Grace Communications Foundation, formerly H2Oconserve.org) Tips and tools about water use and conservation.
- Water.org U.S. nonprofit, "committed to providing safe drinking water and sanitation to people in developing countries."
- Waterinfo.org This website provides water information to the communities of Southwest Colorado.
- World Health Organization: Water
- World Water Day: March 22nd
- Article 19: Statement: Importance of Freedom of Expression and Free Flow of Information In Right to Water Agenda (pdf)
- UN Environment Programme
- UN Development Programme: Environment and Energy: Water and Ocean Governance
- United States: Environmental Protection Agency: Water ; Learn about Water
- FDsys (GPO's Federal Digital System) Find hearings, regulations, and Congressional documents
- Thomas - Legislative Information Search for federal bills on water
- National Conference of State Legislatures
This website offers research and policy information on multi-state legislation. Particularly helpful is the Issues & Research tab.
- National Governors Association (NGA)
Collective voice of America's governors since 1908. Includes policy reports and the Center for Best Practices.
- Council of State Governments
Organization founded in 1933 that serves all three branches of state government.
- E-Codes: Municipal Codes on the Internet
Online municipal codes for various townships, towns, cities, and boroughs provided by General Code publisher. Includes Ithaca (city and town).
- National Association of Counties (NACO)
Organization that publishes and disseminates information for and about counties.
- United States Conference of Mayors
Non-partisan organization of cities with populations of 30,000 or more.
Businesses (Corporate Social Responsibility)
- Wasting Water is Weird. Meet Rip the Drip who, "enjoys taking long showers, listening to running faucets, and opening fire hydrants." Sponsors: Bosch, Kohler, Lowe's, P&G,
- Coca-Cola The company, "Partners with the World Wildlife fund and the UNDP to Advance Water Sustainability Projects in Pacific Region" (press release, May 12, 2011).
- Levi's jeans: Water
The company is changing its manufacturing process to save water. They work with water.org.
- PURwater.com Has a campaign in alliance with the Children's Safte Drinking Water Program.
Helen Cooper's Water Photography
Reflections on Water
Video demo: How to sign up for Noodlebib
See a larger version, click here.
Noodlebib + User's Guide
Clicking the GET IT arrow
When searching, if you see the "GET IT" icon, click on it. You'll be taken to the full text or to ILL if full text is unavailable.
Article Quick Search Examples
Below are very broad sample searches using the Article Quick Search, above. You'll need to refine the search further.
Prof. Alper's Blog
Read Mara Alper's blog: Re-Imagining Water
Readings on Reserve
Books on Reserve in the Library Come to the library circulation desk and give them the call number. Use your student ID to check out the book.
Related Guides: Water
CSG: Water news