GCOM 20100 CRN 10155: Water Planet: Perspectives on Water Sustainability
Table of Contents
About This Guide
This guide links to resources in support of the coursework on Water Planet and refers to resources on the course syllabus in addition to library resources. It provides an interdisciplinary approach to media sources concerning water.
Photo of Taughannock Falls by Robin Stevens
- ATLA religion database with ATLASerials
Subject=Water ; Subject=Deluge
- Literature Online (LION) with MLA
- Project Muse
- Literature Online (LION) with MLA
- Coleridge, Samuel Taylor, 1772-1834 : The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- Eliot, T. S. (Thomas Stearns), 1888-1965 :Death by Water. [from The Waste Land: A Facsimile and Transcript of the original drafts including the annotations of Ezra Pound]
- Anon., 1100-1500 (Middle English Lyrics and Ballads) : The Water o Wearie's Well; or, Wearie's Wells
- Tennyson, Alfred Tennyson, Baron, 1809-1892 : The Lady of Shalott. [from The Works (1907-1908)]
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 : LXV A Sea Dirge [from Miscellanies and Collections, 1750-1900: The Golden Treasury (1891-1897) ]
- HANDEL: Music for the Royal Fireworks / Water Music. Water Music: Suite No. 1 in F major, HWV 348
- ENGLISH SONG. Vaughan Williams, Ralph. The Water Mill.
- DEBUSSY: Piano Favourites. [Show Details] Images, Book 1: No. 1. Reflets dans l'eau (Reflections in the water)
- Spirituals. Wade in the Water
- ANDREAS, Louie: Mediterranean Islands (Spiritual Journeys of the World). Water Voices
- PARABOLA (magazine): ATLA Religion Database indexes this magazine but it is not fulltext. Note: Ithaca College Library has this in print. If you can't come to the library, try an Interlibrary Loan request.
- Twayne's Authors Series Try a search for "water" in this database that provides general overviews and analysis of literary texts.
- Losing Paradise the Water Crisis in the Mediterranean. (2010). Farnham, England: Ashgate.
News Analysis Organizations
- Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR)
A national media watch group that monitors media bias and censorship.
- Journalism.org: Project for Excellence in Journalism: Understanding News in the Information Age
Site is provided by the Project for Excellence in Journalism and the Committee of Concerned Journalists. Includes a link to The State of the News Media Annual Report as well as other research reports and analysis.
- Media Cloud
Data tool from the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard that visulizes the flow of the media.
- Media Education Foundation
Organization that produces educational documentaries that examines American mass media's impact on society.
- Media Education Lab
Temple University program that focuses on media education through curriculum materials, publications, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Media Matters for America
Progressive news monitoring organization.
- National Association for Media Literacy Education (NAMLE)
Organization focused on media literacy in the United States.
- On the Media
On the Media is a National Public Radio Program that reflects on how the media covered events in the weekly news. It also discusses issues in the media such as freedom of information .
- Pew Research Center for People and the Press
Organization that conducts national surveys on the politics and the media. Includes data sets, reports, and links to polls.
- Project Look Sharp
Project Look Sharp provides materials, training and support to help teachers prepare students for life in today's media saturated world. Project Look Sharp promotes the effective integration of media literacy and critical thinking into classroom curricula at all educational levels and instructional areas. Project Look Sharp also evaluates the effectiveness of school-based media literacy education.
- Wasting Water is Weird. Meet Rip the Drip who, "enjoys taking long showers, listening to running faucets, and opening fire hydrants." Sponsors: Bosch, Kohler, Lowe's, P&G,
- Coca-Cola The company, "Partners with the World Wildlife fund and the UNDP to Advance Water Sustainability Projects in Pacific Region" (press release, May 12, 2011).
- Levi's jeans: Water
The company is changing its manufacturing process to save water. They work with water.org.
- PURwater.com Has a campaign in alliance with the Children's Safte Drinking Water Program.
- Perseus Digital Library
Links to over 30,000 images of Architecture, Archaeological Sites, Coins, Vases, and Sculpture from the ancient world.
- Sangaravo Sutta: Sangarava Buddhist discourse on hindrances to meditation that uses water as similies.
- United States: Environmental Protection Agency: Water
- Water.org U.S. nonprofit, "committed to providing safe drinking water and sanitation to people in developing countries."
- World Health Organization: Water
- World Water Day: March 22nd
- Article 19: Statement: Importance of Freedom of Expression and Free Flow of Information In Right to Water Agenda (pdf)
- UN Environment Programme
- UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs: UNCED Earth Summit
- UN Development Programme: Environment and Energy: Water and Ocean Governance
Helen Cooper's Water Photography
Prof. Alper's Blog
- Chart: This comparative chart from Good Magazine shows ways you can save water and reduce your water footprint.
- Calculator: Use the water calculator to estimate how much water you use.
"Water" (Britannica Academic Edition)
"Water" (Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics)
"Water" (Gale Encyclopedia of Diets)
"Water" (Oxford Companion to Global Change)
"Water" (Oxford Dictionary of English)
"Water, n" (Oxford English Dictionary) **Contains the history of the word
"Water" (A Dictionary of Biology)
"Water" (A Dictionary of Chemistry)
"Water" (A Dictionary of the Bible)
"Water" (Food and Fitness: A Dictionary of Diet and Exercise)
"Water" (WordNet) Contains the semantic relations of the word
"Water and Epidemic Diseases" (Encyclopedia of Pestilence, Pandemics, and Plagues)
"Water of Life" (Oxford Companion to World Mythology)
"Water Pollution" (West's Encyclopedia of American Law)
"Water Pollution" (International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
"Water Resources" (International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
"Water Rights" (West's Encyclopedia of American Law)
"Baptism (Christianity)" (Britannica Academic Edition)
"Cosmology" (Encyclopaedia Judaica)
"The Flood" (Encyclopaedia Judaica)
"Mermaid" (Britannica Academic Edition)
"Nymphs" (Oxford Companion to World Mythology)
"Red Sea" (Encyclopaedia Judaica)
"Rod of Moses" (Encyclopaedia Judaica)
"Rusalka" (Oxford Companion to World Mythology)
"Water Pot Boy" (Oxford Companion to World Mythology)
Related Guides: Water