CSCR 35001 Politics of Whiteness
These are just five databases out of many available to Ithaca College students to help you locate peridiocal articles and get started on the research for your project.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
To see how sociologists and other social scientists have researched the topic
- Ethnic Newswatch
Through newspaper, magazine and journal articles, a way to tap into the topic from the point of view of ethnic, minority and native American groups and individuals
Valuable when you are considering whiteness from an anthropological perspective
- Alternative Press Index
When looking for information on the topic from a different point of view
- Academic Search Premier
For coverage from the mainstream press and scholarly sources
These are a few titles available online through the Ithaca College Library. Check the online catalog for more books in the collection (both online and in paper).
- Baum, Bruce. The rise and fall of the Caucasian race: a political history of racial identity. New York University Press, 2006.
- Clarke, Simon, and Steve Garner. White identities: a critical sociological approach. Pluto Press, 2010.
- Conley, Dalton. Honky. University of California Press, 2000.
- Connolly, Paul. Racism, gender identities, and young children: social relations in a multi-ethnic, inner-city primary school. Routledge, 2002.
- Hill, Mike. After Whiteness: Unmaking an American Majority. NYU Press, 2004.
- Papajohn, John C. The hyphenated American; the hidden injuries of culture. Greenwood Press, 1999.
- Rubin, Rachel. Immigration and American popular culture. NYU Press, 2007.
- Sullivan, Shannon. Revealing Whiteness: The Unconscious Habits of Racial Privilege. Indiana University Press, 2006.
- Traber, Daniel S. Whiteness, Otherness and the Individualism Paradox from Huck to Punk. Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
Government and University Websites
The following are web-based resources that have been created, selected, or recommended by librarians, scholars, and other experts:
- Whiteness Studies: Deconstructing (the) Race, from Gregory S. Jay, Director, Cultures and Communities Program, University of Wisconsin — Milwaukee
- Center on Democracy in a Multiracial Society, University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)
- Sociological Images often explores race and ethnicity and the image of whites
- Challenging White Supremacy (CWS) organizes workshops and provides many online resources.
- White Trash, the Construction of an American Scapegoat, created by Angelina Price, as an independent project for American Cultural Studies. University of Virginia.
- The website of Tim Wise, an anti-racist activist.
Call number areas
When browsing the library for books, these are some areas that may be useful to start looking. The same numbers work in Reference and the General Stacks.
- HT 1503-1581: Race (Sociology)
- HT 1575: Caucasians
- GN 303-357: Ethnology, Race (Anthropology), and Cultural Anthropology
- E185.615: United States--Race relations
Ethnic & Race Studies Journals
Browse over 300 Ethnic & Race Studies journals found online and available to Ithaca College students.
- What makes me white?, a film by Aimée Sands, 2007. DVD 4708
- What does it mean to be white? the invisible whiteness of being, a film by Derald Wing Sue, 2004. DVD 2255
- White like me, a film by Scott Morris, 2013. DVD 9767
- What's race got to do with it?, a film by Jean Cheng, 2006. DVD 2798
- The pathology of privilege: racism, white denial & the costs of inequality, a film by by Sut Jhally, 2008. DVD 8986
- Race - The Power of an Illusion, a three-episode series from California Newsreel, 2003. DVD 2500
- The complete blue eyed, with Jane Elliott, 1995-2004. DVD 1872
- Matters of race, from PBS, 2003. DVD 638
- The Order of Myths, directed by Margaret Brown, 2008. DVD 6508
- America in black & white: Prom night, from ABC News, 2004. DVD 5693
- Mirrors of privilege: making whiteness visible. a film by Shakti Butler. 2006. DVD 7275