Primary Periodical Databases
- SocINDEX with Full Text : the premier periodical database for sociology, social work, and social issues.
- ProQuest Social Science Journals : a subset of ProQuest focusing on social science journals.
- Academic Search Premier : a general, multidisciplinary database that can be the best first place to look for current events and social issue topics. Provides access to both popular and scholarly articles.
- Project Muse : Offers full-text articles from university press journals, with a major component involving social, cultural, political, and gender studies. Includes both current and historical material.
- JSTOR : provides access to academic journals and primary sources in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Covers most journals back to volume one, even if that is more than a hundred years old. Coverage extends to within five, three, or one year ago, depending on title.
Additional Databases by Subject
- Ethnic Newswatch
Ethnic Newswatch is a full-text collection of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press. Contents include African American, Arab and Middle Eastern, Asian American, European, Jewish, and Native American publications, including the Spanish-language press.
- Diversity Studies Collection
Covers a diversity of diversity topics related to social science, history and liberal arts. This collection explores cultural differences, contributions and influences in our global community.
- Gender Studies Collection
This collection of journals aims to provide balanced coverage of this significant aspect of our culture, covering such topics as gender studies, family and marital issues, health aspects, and many more.
GenderWatch is a full-text database containing 140 international publications plus reports, pamphlets, papers and conference proceedings devoted to women's and gender issues. It is a repository of materials on gender issues worldwide, the evolution of the women's movement, and the changes in gender roles over the last twenty years.
- LGBT life with Full Text
World's literature regarding Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender issues. (Was GLBT Life with Full Text)
Bibliographic citations and some full-text for journal articles, books, and book chapters. Subjects include psychology and psychological aspects of related disciplines, such as medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacology, physiology, linguistics, anthropology, business, and law. 1872-present.
Bibliographic index for the field of aging. Subjects covered include: aging, gerontology, health sciences, psychology, social sciences and sociology. Topics include: theories of aging, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, marketing to older adults, elder care, Alzheimer's, health care costs and policy, financial and retirement planning, fitness, nutrition, housing and more.
- ERIC (Ebsco interface)
Bibliographic citations, abstracts, and some full-text for journal articles, research and technical reports, conference papers and proceedings, program descriptions, teaching guides, and lesson plans covering all areas and levels of education.
- America: History and Life
Citations and some abstracts for journal articles,book reviews, and dissertations on US and Canadian history, prehistory to the present. Covers historical topics and a variety of disciplines including popular culture, gender studies, anthropology, literature and folklore.
- LexisNexis Academic
Full-text access to continuously updated news, law, and business information. Highlights: News: newswires, transcripts, regional, national/international news, & Gallup Polls; Legal: law review articles, federal case law, and federal/state codes; Business: company profiles, country profiles, and SEC filings; People: directories from the entertainment industry, elected officials, executives, politicians, and obituaries. Also has a section that includes full-text of several health newsletters and abstracts of articles in major medical journals.
- Uniform Crime Reports (FBI)
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS): Abstracts Database
- American FactFinder
Official Census Bureau tool to find statistical data. Use "Quick Facts" to access basic tables for cities, counties, and states (tip - select " more data sets"). Go to " Getting detailed data" for more data on specific topics.
- American Community Survey
A nationwide survey designed to "provide communities a fresh look at how they are changing." It collects information such as age, race, income, commute time to work, home value, veteran status, and other important data.
- USA Counties
An easy way to search for county information in many different categories of information, including Age, Agriculture, Banking, Building Permits, County Business Patterns, Crime, Earnings, Education, Health, Households, Housing, Income, Manufactures, Poverty, Race and Hispanic Origin, Retail Trade, and Wholesale Trade.
- State & County QuickFacts
Summary profiles showing frequently requested data items from various Census Bureau programs.
- County Wages and Employment
Quarterly reports on employment numbers and average weekly wages
- Local Area Unemployment Statistics
Includes employment, unemployment, and labor force data by several regional groupings, including counties
- Location Quotient Calculator
Compare employment by industry by county or metropolitan area
Using One Article to Find Another
If you find one good article on your topic, its list of works cited can help you find additional information .Some databases will list both works cited in an article and what sources have cited the article itself. This is a major feature of Google Scholar . Ebsco databases, including SocINDEX with Full Text will list "Cited References" and "Times Cited in this Database" for some articles.
Resources on Research Methods
In the library
- Social research: issues, methods and process.(4th ed) 2011.
- Transforming self and others through research: transpersonal research methods and skills for the human sciences and humanities. 2011.
- Mixed methods research: merging theory with practice. 2010.
- Queer methods and methodologies: intersecting queer theories and social science research. 2010.
- Intelligent research design: a guide for beginning researchers in the social sciences. 2009.
In the library
- Qualitative data analysis. (3d ed) 2014.
- H62 .M437 2014
- Case study research: design and methods. (5th ed) 2014
- Research design: qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. (4th ed) 2014.
Opinions and Viewpoints
These guides offer guides to issues featuring pro and con viewpoints or opposing opinions.
- CQ Researcher : browse by topic or go to the pro/con section.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context, providing articles, podcasts, maps, statistics, images, and other resources.
- ProCon.org, a nonpartisan citizenship/education organization
- On The Issues covers topics related to election campaigns
- Public Agenda : a nonpartisan, nonprofit research organization devoted to public opinion, policy analysis, and citizen education. Check out its Understanding the Issues guide.